RICHARD VANDER WEERD SCORES 30-LAP BAKERSFIELD VICTORY
by Lance Jennings
BAKERSFIELD, CA MARCH 24, 2013... In his first start at the historic Bakersfield Speedway, Richard Vander Weerd of Visalia won Saturday's USAC West Coast Sprint Car main event. Vander Weerd had lost the lead to Danny Faria Jr., only to regain command after Faria clipped an infield tire. From there, the 2011 Champion fought off the challenges from Bud Kaeding and Austin Liggett to claim his ninth series victory ahead of Ryan Bernal, Kaeding, Jace Vander Weerd, and Rusty Carlile.
Racing the family owned #10 Vander Weerd Construction / Battery Worx Maxim, Richard Vander Weerd was third quick in time trials, second in his heat race, and won the 6-lap Woodland Auto Display Dash. To date, Vander Weerd has one heat race victory, one semi-main win, seven top-10 finishes, two hard charger awards, and 29 feature laps led. Richard sits fourth in points as the series will invade Tulare's Thunderbowl Raceway on April 13th.
Hollister's Ryan Bernal charged to second after starting eighth in the Bakersfield feature. Driving Keith Ford's #73 King Racing Products / A&A Precision Machine Spike, Bernal qualified eighth, ran second in his heat race, and scored eighth in the dash. The former Rookie of the Year holds an eighteen point lead with two feature wins, two heat race victories, one dash win, five top-5 finishes, and 39 feature laps led.
Bud Kaeding of Campbell challenged Vander Weerd for the top spot before scoring third at the checkered flags. Piloting Junior Bowman's #29 Buster & Ziggy Enterprises / Kaeding Performance Bullet, Kaeding was fourth quick, fifth in his heat race, and third in the dash. The defending champion is second in the standings with two heat race victories, one dash win, and five top-10 finishes on the season.
Visalia's Jace Vander Weerd claimed fourth in his first Bakersfield appearance. Driving the family owned #88 Vander Weerd Construction / Battery Worx Maxim, Jace qualified sixth, placed third in his heat race, and ran sixth in the dash. The former USAC/CRA Rookie of the Year sits third in points with one heat race victory and three top-5 finishes on the year.
"The Bakersfield Bullet" Rusty Carlile raced to fifth from ninth in front of his hometown fans. Piloting his #51 Southwest Contractors / N.T.S. Incorporated Bullet, Carlile was tenth fast in time trials and second in his heat race. The former Cotton Classic winner is seventh in the point standings with two top-five finishes and 13 feature laps led to his credit.
Rauma, Finland's Markus Niemela earned his first Weld Racing Fast Time Award of the season and broke Tracy Hines' 1-lap track record. Racing Steve Watt's #81 Lost Reality / Steve Watt Enterprises Maxim, Niemela claimed fourth in his heat race, fourth in the dash, and scored twenty-first in the main event after an early exit. The young hard charger sits eighth in the point chase with one heat race victory, one top-5 finish, and 10 feature laps led in 2013.
Jonathan Logan of Hanford earned the BR Motorsports / Racing Optics "Hard Charger / Best Passing Job honors with a ninth place run after starting nineteenth. Driving the Evett/Logan #32 Mike Downing Racing Engines / Logan Lawn-Garden & Auto Detailing Eagle, the former SCRA 360 Champion qualified sixteenth and was seventh in his heat race. Logan is currently eleventh in championship points with two top-10 finishes on the season.
Bakersfield's "The Rickster" Ricky Kirkbride won the program's 10-lap Extreme Mufflers Heat Race #1. Piloting Bob and Toni Van Meter's #87 Fred Cummings Motorsports / American Fabrication Maxim, Kirkbride was thirteenth fast and claimed tenth in the main event. The USAC Ford Focus Midget graduate is sixth in the standings with two top-10 finishes to his credit.
"Hollywood" Danny Faria Jr. of Tipton took the lead from Vander Weerd before contact with an infield tire knocked him out of contention. Racing his #17V Johnston Calf Pens / DeBoer and Sons Trucking Spike, Faria rebounded to claim seventh in the main event. Earlier in the program, "Hollywood" was second quick in time trials, won the DJ Safety Heat Race #2, and placed second in the dash. Danny is currently fifth in points with three top-10 finishes and 1 feature lap led.
Bakersfield's Matt Day held off Richard Vander Weerd to win the 10-lap Saldana Racing Products / Keizer Wheels Heat Race #3. Driving his #97 Coffey Manufacturing / Undercover Innovations Stinger, Day qualified eighteenth overall and scored eleventh in the main event. The veteran driver is seventeenth in the point chase heading to Thunderbowl Raceway.
The USAC West Coast Sprint Car Series will return to action on Saturday, April 13th, at Tulare's Thunderbowl Raceway. The action packed showcase will also feature the winged Rebel Cup 360 Sprint Cars and IMCA Modifieds. Advance tickets are on sale and for more information, visit www.tularethunderbowl.com or call 559.688.0909.
The USAC West Coast Sprint Car Series would like to thank Southwest Contractors, Hoosier Tire, Amsoil, BR Motorsports, Chris Kearns Presents, Competition Suspension Inc., DJ Safety, Diversified Machine Inc., Extreme Mufflers, Five Star Grafix, Keizer Wheels, King Racing Products, Racing Optics, Rod End Supply, SBI Fuel Systems, Saldana Racing Products, Weld Racing, and Woodland Auto Display for their support. If you or your company would like to become part of the series in 2013, email PR Director Lance Jennings at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the USAC West Coast Sprint Car Series, visit www.westcoastsprintcars.com, www.usacracing.com, or follow the series on Facebook (www.facebook.com/#!/pages/USAC-West-Coast-Sprint-Car-Series/369549755817).
USAC WEST COAST SPRINT RACE RESULTS:
March 23, 2013 Bakersfield, California Bakersfield Speedway
WELD RACING TIME TRIALS:
1. Markus Niemela, 81, Watt-12.890 (New Track Record); 2. Danny Faria Jr., 17V, Faria-13.005; 3. Richard Vander Weerd, 10, Vander Weerd-13.030; 4. Bud Kaeding, 29, Bowman-13.091; 5. Austin Liggett, 83, Liggett-13.161; 6. Jace Vander Weerd, 88, Vander Weerd-13.176; 7. Trent Carter, 13, Carter-13.197; 8. Ryan Bernal, 73, Ford-13.200; 9. Kevin Barnes, 36B, Barnes-13.410; 10. Rusty Carlile, 51, Carlile-13.462; 11. Brody Roa, 91R, BR-13.478; 12. Chris Ennis, 86, Ennis-13.481; 13. Ricky Kirkbride, 87, Van Meter-13.510; 14. Austin DeBlauw, 65, DeBlauw-13.801; 15. Landon Hurst, 179, Hurst-13.803; 16. Mike Broome, 43B, Broome-13.935; 17. Jeff Sibley, 18, Watt-13.962; 18. Matt Day, 97, Day-13.974; 19. Jonathan Logan, 32, Evett/Logan-14.040; 20. Adam Frith-Smith, 62, Frith-Smith-14.422; 21. Seth Hancock, 51S, Hancock-20.203.
EXTREME MUFFLERS HEAT RACE 1: (10 laps)
1. Ricky Kirkbride, 2. Rusty Carlile, 3. Mike Broome, 4. Markus Niemela, 5. Bud Kaeding, 6. Trent Carter, 7. Jonathan Logan. NT
DJ SAFETY HEAT RACE 2: (10 laps)
1. Danny Faria Jr., 2. Ryan Bernal, 3. Brody Roa, 4. Austin Liggett, 5. Austin DeBlauw, 6. Jeff Sibley, 7. Adam Frith-Smith. NT
SALDANA RACING PRODUCTS / KEIZER WHEELS HEAT RACE 3: (10 laps)
1. Matt Day, 2. Richard Vander Weerd, 3. Jace Vander Weerd, 4. Landon Hurst, 5. Kevin Barnes, 6. Chris Ennis, 7. Seth Hancock. NT
WOODLAND AUTO DISPLAY DASH: (6 laps)
1. Richard Vander Weerd, 2. Danny Faria Jr., 3. Bud Kaeding, 4. Markus Niemela, 5. Austin Liggett, 6. Jace Vander Weerd, 7. Kevin Barnes, 8. Ryan Bernal. NT
FEATURE: (30 laps - With Starting Positions)
1. Richard Vander Weerd (1st), 2. Ryan Bernal (8th), 3. Bud Kaeding (3rd), 4. Jace Vander Weerd (6th), 5. Rusty Carlile (9th), 6. Brody Roa (10th), 7. Danny Faria Jr. (2nd), 8. Chris Ennis (17th), 9. Jonathan Logan (19th), 10. Ricky Kirkbride (11th), 11. Matt Day (15th), 12. Kevin Barnes (7th),13. Austin Liggett (5th), 14. Landon Hurst (13th), 15. Trent Carter (16th), 16. Mike Broome (14th), 17. Austin DeBlauw (12th), 18. Seth Hancock (21st), 19. Jeff Sibley (18th), 20. Adam Frith-Smith (20th), 21. Markus Niemela (4th). NT
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-3 Richard Vander Weerd, Lap 4 Danny Faria Jr., Laps 5-30 Richard Vander Weerd.
BR MOTORSPORTS / RACING OPTICS HARD CHARGER: Jonathan Logan (19th to 9th)
USAC WEST COAST SPRINT CAR POINT STANDINGS:
1. Ryan Bernal-198; 2. Bud Kaeding-185; 3. Jace Vander Weerd-169; 4. Richard Vander Weerd-166; 5. Danny Faria Jr.-163; 6. Ricky Kirkbride-127; 7. Rusty Carlile-118; 8. Markus Niemela-117; 9. Austin Liggett-114; 10. Landon Hurst-113; 11. Jonathan Logan-107; 12. Chris Ennis-101; 13. Brody Roa-97; 14. Marty Hawkins-79; 15. Andy Ferris-76; 16. Jeff Sibley-69; 17. Matt Day-65; 18. Jim Richardson-61; Kevin Barnes-61; 20. Joe Stornetta-39.
2013 USAC WEST COAST SPRINT CAR SERIES SCHEDULE
DATE - TRACK - LOCATION
April 13: Thunderbowl Raceway - Tulare, CA
April 20: Thunderbowl Raceway - Tulare, CA
April 27: Bakersfield Speedway - Bakersfield, CA
May 11: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA (Billet Cup)
June 8: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA
June 22: Santa Maria Speedway - Santa Maria, CA (Bud Stanfield Memorial)
July 6: Santa Maria Speedway - Santa Maria, CA (Doug Fort Memorial)
July 20: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA
August 3: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA (Jim Evett Memorial)
September 7: Bakersfield Speedway - Bakersfield, CA
September 20: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA (Jim Turner Memorial)
September 21: Thunderbowl Raceway - Tulare, CA (John Anthony Sharp Memorial)
September 28: *Canyon Speedway Park - Peoria, AZ (Brawl For It All / $2,500-to-Win / Grudge Series / Non-Points)
October 12: Kings Speedway - Hanford, CA (Cotton Classic)
October 31: *Perris Auto Speedway - Perris, CA (Oval Nationals / $2,500-to-Win / Grudge Series / Non-Points)
November 14: *Canyon Speedway Park - Peoria, AZ (Western World Championships / Non-Points)
November 15: *Canyon Speedway Park - Peoria, AZ (Western World Championships / Non-Points)
November 16: *Canyon Speedway Park - Peoria, AZ (Western World Championships / $7,500-to-Win / Non-Points)
* = Co-Sanctioned Event With USAC Southwest Sprints.
This schedule is subject to change.