BUD KAEDING WINS JIM EVETT MEMORIAL
By Lance Jennings
HANFORD, CA – JULY 22, 2010… In just his third start with the USAC West Coast 360 Sprint Car Series, Campbell's Bud Kaeding scored his second victory of the year. Kaeding passed teammate Davey Pombo to take command on lap sixteen and lead the rest of the way to the Jim Evett Memorial victory at Hanford's Giant Chevrolet Speedway.
Driving Junior Bowman's Buster & Ziggy #2 Bullet, the 3-time and defending USAC Silver Crown Champion was second quick in time trials, second in his heat race, and second place in a special six-lap dash. Starting the 30-lap feature in the seventh position, Kaeding used the experience of a veteran driver to work his way forward and claim the win. He was followed by Davey Pombo, Craig Stidham, Peter Murphy, and Richard VanderWeerd.
Kerman's Davey Pombo led the first fifteen circuits in #3 Junior Bowman owned Buster & Ziggy Bullet until falling to Kaeding. The former Bandit Sprint Car champion was eighth quick in time trials, won the BR Motorsports / Saldana Racing Products Heat Race, and recorded his twelfth top-10 performance of the year. With his second place finish, Pombo is fifty-five points behind Craig Stidham.
Craig Stidham of Fresno also scored his twelfth top-10 drive of the year with his third place finish in the feature. Earlier in the evening, the pilot of the #3S Brad Johnson Trucking / KRC Safety Maxim was fifth quick in qualifications, third in his heat race, and fourth in the dash. Starting fifth in the main event, the series point leader crossed the finish line in third place.
Clovis' Peter Murphy returned to action in the #11 Buster & Ziggy sponsored Bullet owned by Junior Bowman. The Santa Maria track champion was nineteenth in time trials and fifth in his heat race. Starting deep in the field in seventeenth, Murphy put on a show to finish the 30-lap feature in fourth place. That drive earned the Australian native the King Racing Products Hard Charger Award.
Rounding out the top-5 was Richard VanderWeerd of Visalia. Driving the family's #10 VanderWeerd Construction / Mid Valley Pipe & Supply Maxim, VanderWeerd was seventh quick in qualifications, fourth in his heat race, and third in the dash. With his fifth place finish in the main event, VanderWeerd drove to his eighth top-10 performance of the 2010 campaign.
Tipton's "Hollywood" Danny Faria Jr. set the standard in Sander Engineering Time Trials by earning his fourth fast time award of the year. Driving the #8M May Motorsports / Don Berry Construction Maxim, Faria won the Extreme Mufflers Heat Race and was fifth in the dash. Starting eighth in the feature, Faria was making his way towards the front until flipping his mount on lap twenty-six. The veteran driver was uninjured, but done for the night.
T.J. Smith of Fresno won his first heat race of the year, coming in Heat Race #3 sponsored by Competition Suspension Incorporated. The pilot of #14 Steve LeGras' UHL Rubber Maxim was third fast in time trials, and won the six lap dash. In the main event, the former Plaza Park track champion scored a twenty-second place finish.
With twenty-six cars on hand, the night's format required a 12-lap Semi-Main event, sponsored by Keizer Wheels. Bakersfield's Ricky Kirkbride took the win in Bob & Toni Van Meter's #87 Fred Cummings Motorsports Maxim. Following Kirkbride to the feature were Citrus Height's Scott Kinney, Chris Ennis of Bakersfield, Marty Hawkins of Santa Rosa, Visalia's Jesse Mack, Ventura's Hobie Conway, and Dave Knott of Fresno.
The USAC West Coast 360 Sprint Car Series would like to thank Southwest Contractors, Hoosier Tire, Amsoil, BR Motorsports, Competition Suspension, Cory Kruseman's Sprint Car & Midget Driving School, Crow Enterprizes, DJ Safety, Extreme Mufflers, Hilborn Fuel Injection, Hinchman-Indy Racing Uniforms, Integra Shocks, Kaeding Performance, Keizer Wheels, King Racing Products, Kirkey Racing Fabrication, Port City Racing, Saferacer.com, Saldana Racing Products, and Sander Engineering for their support.
Round 14 for the USAC West Coast 360 Sprint Car Series will be this Saturday, July 24th, at the Santa Maria Speedway, located at 1900 Hutton Road in Nipomo. The Bud Stanfield Memorial / Mega 97.1 FM Night will also showcase the Toste Grading & Paving Mini Stocks, Vintage Sprints, and CDCRA Dwarf Cars. The Front Gates will open at 5:00pm, Time Trials will start at 6:00pm, with Racing at 7:00pm. Adult tickets are $16, Senior, Military, and Student tickets are $14, Kids tickets (6-12) are $5, and Children’s tickets (5 and under) are FREE. For event information, please visit www.racesantamariaspeedway.com or call (805) 922-2232.
For more information on the USAC West Coast 360 Sprint Car Series, please visit westcoastsprintcars.com, usacracing.com, racesantamariaspeedway.com, or follow the series on facebook.
USAC WEST COAST 360 SPRINT RACE RESULTS:
Giant Chevrolet Speedway - Hanford, California
July 17, 2010 - "Jim Evett Memorial"
SANDER ENGINEERING TIME TRIALS:
1. Danny Faria Jr., 8M, May-16.507; 2. Bud Kaeding, 2, Bowman-16.523; 3. T.J. Smith, 14, LeGras-16.535; 4. Ricky Kirkbride, 87, Van Meter-16.585; 5. Craig Stidham, 3S, Stidham-16.595; 6. Jonathan Logan, 32, Evett/Logan-16.640; 7. Richard VanderWeerd, 10, VanderWeerd-16.673; 8. Davey Pombo, 3, Bowman-16.720; 9. Justyne Hamblin, 8, JH-16.772; 10. Jace VanderWeerd, 88, VanderWeerd-16.853; 11. Jared Little, 25, Little-16.868; 12. Scott Kinney, 25K, Kinney-16.974; 13. Rusty Carlile, 51, Carlile-17.017; 14. Geoffrey Strole, 09S, Strole-17.122; 15. Wes Gutierrez, 007, WG-17.130; 16. Chris Ennis, 86, Ennis-17.135; 17. Andy Ferris, 4J, Ferris-17.200; 18. Hobie Conway, 29K, Conway-17.218; 19. Peter Murphy, 11, Bowman-17.299; 20. Jay Waugh, 3K, Kruseman-17.392; 21. Marty Hawkins, 3M, Hawkins-17.471; 22. Dave Knott, 28, Knott-17.581; 23. Jesse Mack, 71M, Gilbert/Mack-17.599; 24. Koen Shaw, 88K, Shaw-17.664; 25. Jeff Thompson, 5K, Swaim-18.548; 26. Ray Knight, 99K, Knight-18.684.
EXTREME MUFFLERS HEAT RACE 1: (10 laps)
1. Danny Faria Jr., 2. Rusty Carlile, 3. Jace VanderWeerd, 4. Richard VanderWeerd, 5. Peter Murphy, 6. Kirkbride, 7. Chris Ennis, 8. Dave Knott, 9. Jeff Thompson. NT.
BR MOTORSPORTS / SALDANA RACING PRODUCTS HEAT RACE 2: (10 laps)
1. Davey Pombo, 2. Bud Kaeding, 3. Craig Stidham, 4. Andy Ferris, 5. Jared Little, 6. Jesse Mack, 7. Strole, 8. Jay Waugh, 9. Ray Knight. NT.
COMPETITION SUSPENSION INC. / KEIZER WHEELS HEAT RACE 3: (10 laps)
1. T.J. Smith, 2. Wes Gutierrez, 3. Justyne Hamblin, 4. Jonathan Logan, 5. Koen Shaw, 6. Hobie Conway, 7. Scott Kinney, 8. Marty Hawkins. NT.
DASH: (6 laps)
1. T.J. Smith, 2. Bud Kaeding, 3. Richard VanderWeerd, 4. Craig Stidham, 5. Danny Faria Jr., 6. Jonathan Logan. NT.
KEIZER WHEELS SEMI-MAIN:
1. Ricky Kirkbride, 2. Scott Kinney, 3. Chris Ennis, 4. Marty
Hawkins, 5. Jesse Mack, 6. Hobie Conway, 7. Dave Knott, 8.
Geoffrey Strole, 9. Jay Waugh, 10. Jeff Thompson, 11. Ray Knight. NT.
FEATURE: (30 laps - With
1. Bud Kaeding (7th), 2. Davey Pombo (2nd), 3. Craig
Stidham (5th), 4. Peter Murphy (17th), 5. Richard VanderWeerd
(3rd), 6. Justyne Hamblin (1st), 7. Rusty Carlile (13th), 8. Wes
Gutierrez (14th), 9. Jace VanderWeerd (10th), 10. Koen Shaw
(19th), 11. Ricky Kirkbride (9th), 12. Chris Ennis (15th), 13. Marty
Hawkins (18th), 14. Andy Ferris (16th), 15. Jonathan Logan
(4th), 16. Jared Little (11th), 17. Hobie Conway (21st), 18. Jesse
Mack (20th), 19. Danny Faria Jr. (8th), 20. Dave Knott (22nd), 21. Scott
Kinney (12th), 22. T.J. Smith (6th). NT
**Danny Faria Jr. flipped on lap 26 of the feature.
FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-15 Davey Pombo, Laps 16-30 Bud Kaeding.
KING RACING PRODUCTS HARD CHARGER: Peter Murphy (17th to 4th)
NEW USAC WEST COAST 360 SPRINT POINTS:
1-Stidham-775; 2-Pombo-720; 3-Smith-614; 4-Hamblin-605; 5-Murphy-558; 6-Carlile-522; 7-R.VanderWeerd-495; 8-Faria-467; 9-R.VanderWeerd-447; 10-Ennis-420.
NEXT USAC WEST COAST 360 SPRINT RACE: July 24 – Santa Maria (CA) Speedway